The Media Create sales figures for the week ending on January 22nd, 2017 are in. The stats show the top 20 software sales in Japan, giving gamers an idea of how many copies of certain games are moving across store shelves.
Gaming Conviction rolled out the chart, noting that Gravity Rush 2, gravity-defying adventure starring Kat and Raven, was number one, moving 74,361 copies. That roughly translates to $4.4 million in USD revenue. Depending on the design of the game and how much production costs (the team was pretty small by the way) depends on how much that goes into recouping the investment.
One way that they managed to dodge a bullet when it comes to expenses is with the voice acting… they made up their own language and only had one group of voice actors as opposed to paying voice talents in different regions to speak for the characters.
We’ll find out how well Gravity Rush 2 sold in America when the January NPD charts are released in February. The game is definitely a niche title, so don’t expect huge numbers. It’s also a big departure from many typical AAA games on the market by focusing its core appeal on inventive gameplay, so it may gain sleeper hit status as it continues to mature its shelf life on the market.
Following behind Gravity Rush 2 on PS4 are a number of other games, mostly PS4 and 3DS releases, such as Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8, Pokemon Sun & Moon and Valkyria Revolution.
Nintendo still has quite a few games within the top 10, and surprisingly Sony’s PS Vita managed to grab two spots out of the 10 best selling games of the previous week. It’s also funny to see Grand Theft Auto V still on the list, along with the Wii U edition of Minecraft. For one, it’s embarrassing that a game as old as GTA V is still making it on the top weekly charts, and it’s also weird that people are still buying games for the Wii U. You can check out the full chart of the top 20 best selling games of the past week in Japan below.
- [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 (SIE, 01/19/17) – 74,361 (New)
- [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi’s Woolly World (Nintendo, 01/19/17) – 39,555 (New)
- [PS4] Valkyria Revolution (Sega, 01/19/17) – 38,197 (New)
- [PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue (Square Enix, 01/12/17) – 22,758 (160,555)
- [3DS] Pokemon Sun / Pokemon Moon (Nintendo, 11/18/16) – 21,036 (3,092,277)
- [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki (Level-5, 12/15/16) – 20,831 (629,229)
- [PSV] Valkyria Revolution (Sega, 01/19/17) – 18,219 (New)
- [PSV] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (Spike Chunsoft, 01/12/17) – 15,943 (92,110)
- [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (Nintendo, 12/01/16) – 14,285 (928,969)
- [3DS] Momotaro Dentetsu 2017: Tachiagare Nippon! (Nintendo, 12/22/16) – 8,638 (269,727)
- [PS4] Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony (Spike Chunsoft, 01/12/17) – 7,955 (47,961)
- [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Low Price Version) (10/08/15) – 7,456 (252,874)
- [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (SIE, 03/19/15) – 6,824 (1,090,208)
- [PS4] Final Fantasy XV (Limited and Bundled Editions Included) (Square Enix, 11/29/16) – 5,859 (923,632)
- [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf – Welcome Amiibo (Nintendo, 11/24/16) – 5,033 (112,797)
- [3DS] Miitopia (Nintendo, 12/08/16) – 4,775 (156,947)
- [PSV] Hana Oboro: Sengoku-den Ranki (Idea Factory, 01/19/17) – 4,522 (New)
- [Wii U] Minecraft: Wii U Edition (Mojang, 06/23/16) – 3,732 (279,716)
- [PS4] Battlefield 1 (EA, 10/21/16) – 3,432 (252,485)
- [PS4] Watch Dogs 2 (Ubisoft, 12/01/16) – 3,037 (105,648)
Ads (learn more about our advertising policies here)