Nintendo just released Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch and a lot of people are looking to get their hands on it. If you happen to be new or have no ideal how the controls work, hopefully this guide will help you to master basic actions in Super Mario Odyssey.
Performing actions in a Mario game is vital in that they help you reach new locations, important places, and even hidden/secret areas. At times these maneuvers will help you in minor scenarios or to reach locations that call for stuff like long jumps and flips.
Thanks to a video by SwitchForce we learn the controls using the Joy-Con buttons and motion controls. The guide goes over a list of actions that include one and two player controls:
Now that you have an ideal what does what via the Joy-Cons, maneuvers and basic actions sit right here:
- Long Jump: Press ZL + B while running.
- Long Jump – single Joy-Con: Press SL + Down while running.
- Roll: Press ZL + Y / Hold ZL and shake Joy-Cons.
- Roll – single Joy-Con: Press SL + Left / Hold SL and Shake Joy-Con.
- Ground Pound: In midair press ZL.
- Ground Pound – single Joy-Con: In midair press SL.
- Dive: While falling or in midair press ZL + Y / SL + Left.
- Dive – single Joy-Con: While falling or in midair press SL + Left.
Ground Pound Jump
- Ground Pound Jump: In midair press ZL, after hitting the ground press B.
- Ground Pound Jump – single Joy-Con: In midair press Sl, after hitting the ground press Down.
- Capture: Press Y / Shake Joy-Cons / Press ZL to release Capture.
- Capture – single Joy-Con: Left / Shake Joy-Con / Press SL to release Capture.
- Upward Throw: Shake Joy-Cons up.
- Upward Throw – single Joy-Con: Shake Joy-Con up.
- Downward Throw: Shake Joy-Cons down.
- Downward Throw – single Joy-Con: Shake Joy-Con down.
- Side Throw: Shake Joy-Cons to the side.
- Side Throw – single Joy-Con: Shake Joy-Con to the side.
Cap Throw and Hold
- Cap Throw and Hold: Press and Hold Y.
- Cap Throw and Hold – single Joy-Con: Press and Hold Left.
- Cap Jump: Press and hold Y, then step on Cap.
- Cap Jump – single Joy-Con: Press and hold Left, then step on Cap.
Homing Cap Throw
- Homing Cap Throw: Shake Joy-Cons repeatedly after throwing Cap.
- Homing Cap Throw – single Joy-Con: Shake Joy-Con repeatedly after throwing Cap.
- Backward Somersault: Press ZL + B.
- Backward Somersault – single Joy-Con: Press SL + Down.
- Side Somersault: Tilt left thumb-stick in opposite direction while running and press B.
- Side Somersault – single Joy-Con: Tilt thumb-stick in opposite direction while running and press Down.
- Triple Jump: Run forward and press B three times in a timely manner.
- Triple Jump – single Joy-Con: Run forward and press Down three times in a timely manner.
- Wall Jump: Jump toward a wall and press B.
- Wall Jump – single Joy-Con: Jump toward a wall and press Down.
Hold and Throw
- Hold and Throw: Press Y near an object / you can also shake Joy-Cons to do the same actions.
- Hold and Throw – single Joy-Con: Press Left near an object / you can also shake Joy-Con to do the same actions.
- Swim: Press B to swim.
- Swim – single Joy-Con: Press Down to swim.
- Quick Swim: Press ZL + Y to quick swim.
- Quick Swim – single Joy-Con: Press SL + Left to quick swim.
- Spin: Rotate left thumb-stick.
- Spin – single Joy-Con: Rotate thumb-stick.
- Dash: Move left thumb-stick press Y.
- Dash – single Joy-Con: Move left thumb-stick and press Left.
- Enter Pipes: While on top of a pipe press ZL.
- Enter Pipes – single Joy-Con: While on top of a pipe press SL.
All of the noted actions can be seen below thanks to SwitchForce.
Super Mario Odyssey is out now for Nintendo Switch.